As we know that Windows 10 is the latest Operating system for your Windows PC. Like Siri in Apple, Microsoft also introduces Cortana. Cortana is helpful for faster web search, voice typing, finding any files in your PC very easily. Earlier there was a simple system present in the Windows for turn off the Cortana very easily. But now after the latest Anniversary updates, it is the little bit tougher to disable the Cortana in Windows PC. But no need to worry if you want then still you all can disable the Cortana in Windows now. Users need to disable this feature because some of them might scare about this assistant which automatically sync and share their schedule and location with Microsoft’s services.
In this topic, we will talk about the step by step procedure to turn off Cortana in Windows 10 PC very easily. This steps will really make your work easier than before to disable this assistant more quickly. Those who have already disabled the Cortana before the updates, they also need to follow these steps to disable it again. For disabling this feature you need to edit the registry files once. Before that make sure you have taken all the back up of the registry files once. Let’s start to know about Cortana and follow the below steps to turn the feature on your Windows 10 PC now.
What is Cortana?
Cortana is a user voice controlled assisting feature for your Windows phone 10 and as well as for Windows 10 PC too. This is almost similar to Siri which comes in Apple devices. With the help of Cortana, you can directly search any thing with out typing a single word on your device. It will automatically start searching by detecting your voice commands and the search result will be displayed from your PC or directly from the web as well. The search engine which is used by the Cortana is Microsoft dedicated “Bing Search”. This is a very good feature developed by Microsoft Corporation. But some users do not like it as it shares the schedule and location in many Microsoft services.
So let’s talk about the steps through which you can turn off this feature from your Windows 10 PC very easily.
Steps to disable Cortana in Windows 10:
These are the easiest steps to disable the Cortana from your Windows 10 PC without any interruption. Now read the below steps clearly and perform the same on your PC now.
- Initially turn on your PC, make sure you have sufficient battery back up or you are directly connected to Power source. Now go to the main screen i.e. the desktop screen.
- Click on the Start button and type the key word “regedit” and you will find one option in the search result written regedit run command. Click on that command or option once. If it asks that the program want to make changes on your computer then “Allow” it once.
- Now the registry editor window will open and you need to select the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE from the left side panel of the Window.
- From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder you need to select the sub folder named SOFTWARE -> Policies ->Microsoft->Windows->Windows Search. If Windows Search folder is not there then just create this sub folder from your own by right click on Windows folder -> New -> Key and rename the new folder as Windows Search.
- Again right click on Windows Search and choose the option ->New -> DWORD (32-bit Value).
- Now name the DWORD as “AllowCortana”, click on it once and make sure the value on the bracket is (0) zero.
- Restart your system once and hence the Cortana search bar will be replaced and normal task bar will show on the below of your screen.
So by applying the above steps, you are able to disable the Cortana feature from your Windows PC. This is so simple that beginner user also can apply these steps on their PC. Still, if you are facing any problem regarding this steps then you can consult with some computer experts and your problem will solve surely. We recommend that this is a very good feature introduced by Microsoft in Windows 10. You can use this feature easily as it does not share any of your personal information and data to any services and sites. Hope you all are satisfied with the explanation that has been provided here.